“Smart” Playlist iOS5 Bug

So I’m no longer living on the edge. I’ve traded in my jailbroken features for iOS5. For me it’s worth the upgrade. I miss the Android Lock and hiding apps, otherwise I’m 100% happy with the upgrade. iMessages is cool, Reminders will be handy for it’s location aware stuff and the new notifications are awesome (better then the hacked jailbroken version, obviously!).

My big annoyance right now is that an old bug seams to be back. Used to be that when you’d sync a Smart Playlist the order wouldn’t copy properly. I can’t remember how long ago this was or when it was fixed, it’s was super annoying and it was fixed a while ago. I’ve only got one playlist where I care about this is my Podcasts. I like to manage the order in which I’ll hear them. Moving daily stuff up so I’m never as far behind. That bug seams to be back, the only solution is to turn off “Live Updating”  which negate the advantage of a smart playlist!

I hope with is fixed quick and that it only takes an iTunes update. I also hope the jailbreakers break in soon too!

Update: Temporary Fix for Smart Playlist Order

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Anonymous October 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

I am glad to hear that I am to the only one here. Are you getting the reverse playlist order? I have resorted to backups, setup as new device…all of that. I could be wrong just because I had yet to really test it, but I felt that when I initially restored to 5.0, then restored to a 4.0 backup, that the order was correct. I had to of course restore bc iCloud + iTunes Match caused a ton of problems.

• Anonymous October 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

• Anonymous October 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

• Anonymous October 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

• billdeys October 13, 2011, 7:29 pm

It’s not reversed. I’ve tried sorting them in iTunes by a pile of different criteria but can’t find out one that matches the sort on the phone. For now I’ll live with it. It’s only a both for podcasts and hopefully we’ll have a CastRoller (http://castroller.com/billdeys) App out soon so I don’t need to sync them.

• Anonymous October 21, 2011, 3:10 pm

I couldn’t remember where else it was I was posting to post the solution here. Check out my post on the Apple Discussion board…

Just search for TransRapid on the page, or scroll toward the bottom to the post with the images.https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3374416

• cms October 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

hey TransRapid how did you restore to 4.0? I wanna restore mine

• Voodoorat October 14, 2011, 8:40 am

I noticed this bug was back too and I also find it quite annoying.  I remember there was some workaround at the time (the previous time it was broken) that you could use two playlists and the second one would be in the correct order, but I don’t remember the details.

• billdeys October 14, 2011, 9:28 am

I’ve put up a new post with details on a workaround from the Apple Forums. It works for me, hope it helps.

Temporary Fix for Smart Playlist Order

• Vick Lee October 15, 2011, 11:06 pm

Anyone having problems with smart playlist being removed from itunes when syncing? I have podcast smart playlist inside folders and they go missing when i sync leaving the folder empty.

• Dave Delaney October 21, 2011, 11:34 am

Hey Bill. I love when I Google something and find a friend on the top of the results. Way to go you SEO killer you!

I don’t have quite the same issue as you’re explaining in the post. Since updating to iOS 5, my podcast playlists won’t update. It’s really annoying. They update in iTunes, but they are playlists on my iPhone are blank.

I expect I’ll figure it out, but wanted to drop ya a comment. Cheers!

• phronk November 29, 2011, 10:09 pm

Oh hi Bill. I googled this and found you near the top, just like Dave. Didn’t realize it was you right away. Weird.

Anyway, same problem here. All my smart playlists are in no discernable order on my iPhone and iPad. They’re just a random mess. Just tried your Inception-like playlist within a playlist though, and that worked! For some reason! Thanks.

Next post: