“I’ll focus on what strategic voting campaigns could have done to prevent a majority.”
(Via A Conservative Majority Was Avoidable – Data Journalism, James McKinney.)
So you don’t like the conservatives, I get it, whatever.
But, why the hell does the idea of a minority government sound so good? So we can get nothing at all accomplished? Conservative power was inevitable so why don’t you embrace the decision the country has made and hope that they do such a bad job they flip voters next time.
Sure some bad things might happen, such is life. It’s happened before, we’ve made it through. In the end this is what the country wanted. That’s the point of democracy.
P.S. This isn’t really a reply to the author of the blog post, James McKinney, mostly just me thinking out loud.
First I want to say, I’m loving the London Free Press (lfpress) Reader Rant Line Podcast. It’s awesome to hear the opinions of Londoners, and most of them outside the “fishbowl.” Check out the latest episode for lost of opinion about the BS going on in Canadian politics right now. One thing I’d like to know is, what is the opinion of the general public in Canada? I think most of the people in this fishbowl skew to the Right, supporting the opposition, but the majority of callers do not! It’s refreshing to hear another side.Below is my opinion, a lot of these points I wrote while listening to the episode.
- The Canadian people elected a Conservative Minority Government.
- We elected Harper twice.
- I know it’s legal, they couldn’t/wouldn’t do it otherwise but Capital Punishment in legal in some states, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s right or we have to agree with it.
- Sure Harper isn’t “doing enough!” He can’t! At this point it’s like the opposition will stand in the way of ANYTHING just to get “non-confidence”
- The opposition may not be “confident” in a Harper Government but that isn’t necessarily representative of what “we” want.
- In my opinion we are confident in Harper, we JUST voted for this government.
- Didn’t Dion’s Liberals looses seats? So why would he assume we want them in?
- Seams like Dion is covering his ass, first he realized it was him that killed the election for them (he stepped down pending the appointment of a new leader), now he’s trying to create controversy for the rest to make him look better!
You may say “But Bill your not a Liberal supporter!” I’m pretty sure I’d have the same opinion if the Conservatives were trying this.I just don’t agree with a colalition government. I’m not a real big fan of minority governments but there isn’t many options to solve that in a system with more then two parties (and I don’t thinks two party systems are good). I think we need to get rid of non-confidence. They should no be able to seize power this way. Should “we” be able to knock the government off if their doing something dirty? Yes, I think we need some sort of out if the government starts some funny business.I don’t know what else to say right now, more blog post and maybe some video is likely to follow as my thoughts gel and Harper address the country on TV tonight!
The quality sucks, had I know it was only 15 min I’d have jacked up the resolution, and maybe used a better camera! The camera also screwed up at the start so I missed some! Sorry!